Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mucha Woman


First color session on a piece we started a while back (within the last year I believe).  This is one of three Mucha women on her arm (that will be getting a bunch of nouveau background eventually).  I've actually finished the bottom two women recently, but wasn't able to grab decent pictures this time.  I am super happy with how they turned out however and am planning on this one also going very well.
In the original print the hair is a kind of grey and brown, but she was interested in doing black hair, and I thought that would be just fine.  The lower women were done extremely faithful to the originals, and she felt comfortable veering off slightly for this one. 
This top piece is 2 or 3 times the size of the lower ones, so a very subtle thematic shift should work out just fine.  
I love this style of art and I'm really enjoying doing these.  Combining Mucha's very clean and technical line work (which is also extremely busy but perfect) with the very soft and watery color tones is a super cool look, and has given me lots of ideas and inspiration for some of my other work...

1 comment: