Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tiger Sleeve



Finally on to the color!
This seems to be a pretty exciting milestone for folks getting larger Japanese style work.  They patiently endure all those sessions of nothing but black and grey for what seems like forever and eventually get rewarded with some color.
I love doing the solid dark background (honestly probably more than color), but its relationship with some bright color is really what makes this stuff work...
I'm really glad he reminded me that he wanted the white tips at the last minute.  I don't always do it, but I love the look (100% inspired by and derived from Horitoshi 1).  It takes a little more time to get all those white streaks cut into the color just so, but I feel that it's a perfect balance of strength and finesse.
Two more flowers to go, then bamboo and tigers...

No comments:

Post a Comment