Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tiger Sleeve




I'm sure I've said we're almost done before, but seriously, we're almost done...
This was one of those classic ones for me where I'm convinced I can finish a much larger area that is actually possible for me in the allotted time (i.e. thought I'd finish the whole tiger during our session time).  Once I get into something I tend to have a fairly methodical approach, and I always forget that the style I prefer to do things takes a lot of time.  Ideally, there is minimal skin showing at all, dense black and color, tight little air spaces (leaving a small strip of skin between the color and the outline to give a little more pop to what is essentially a 2D image) and on and on.  I've realized it's just not an approach that can be blasted through and still maintain the look I'm striving for.  
I'm glad that my clients enjoy me and the process (I think/hope) and appreciate what goes into these things.  It can be an unexpected lesson in patience and endurance for a lot of people, not to mention seriously challenging their previous comfort levels.  These things are a serious commitment, and I genuinely hope that they're getting a little something more out of the experience that just a tattoo...
Mr. Tiger Guy here is a great example of someone I think has evolved and grown a bit through his two or so year tattoo journey so far.  Understanding his connection the the experience and enthusiasm for the art really helps me stay focused and motivated...

No comments:

Post a Comment