Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Maple and Sparrows




All the maple leaves are officially colored and I believe I see her tomorrow to start shading in the branch.
I'm sure I've said it before, but bird and flower compositions are my favorite to work with.  I love old Chinese and Japanese bird and botanical drawings, and Audobon is my favorite in terms of color and patterning.
My ultimate inspiration in this genre is Hiroshige.
His book "Birds and Flowers" is one of the most important and special books I own.  Not that it is rare or hard to find, but to me it is the pinnacle of stylized natural compositions.  No matter how many times I go through it I am constantly amazed and seeing new things.
Check it out if you've got a chance.  Just sitting quietly and taking your time to look at it is a very relaxing exercise...


2 comments:

  1. What is your inspiration for the japanese lion genre?
    Man! you do some nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man.
    For the foo dog, I look toward Hokusai...
    Also some good reference to be found in Chinese books.

    ReplyDelete