Friday, January 13, 2012

Skull Cover




Man, I messed up...
Not on the tattoo (I think) but I lost the before picture of what this is covering.  This was one of the craziest cover ups I've ever done.  Believe it or not, there was a very solid black and grey half sleeve under there of a guy shooting himself in the head under a bridge or something made out of bricks...no joke.  I've been doing other work on him for years and he's always mentioned wanting to do something about it but I always kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to have to tell him it couldn't be done.
We had been working on dialing in the lower section of the arm one day (which has a bunch of skulls and roses I was finishing that had been started by another artist) and he brought up the upper arm.  I started looking at it and realized there were these three pretty dark spots roughly where two eyes and a nose would be.  I started drawing on him and it was looking like it might fit, so we just went ahead and started outlining it.  The roses up top are there to match all the ones that were already on the lower arm.
I really hope he has a picture of the old tattoo laying around, because I still can't really believe we were able to cover it so well...
Also, threw in the last picture to show how different these things can look in different lighting...

No comments:

Post a Comment